Re: respect privacy please !

2004-05-21 08:20:48
Hi John,

I actually (myself) have no problem to have my name published, my complain was
somehow an indirect one ... because what is surprising is that when we had this
type of discussion several times, no solution or decision is publicly provided.
That's really annoying. We aren't here volunteering with our time and resources
to provide our inputs and then being ignored, at least not most of us, I guess.
So the openness of the process is already broken not taking decisions after the
discussions :-(

Also is interesting that even when I typed it correctly, is now incorrectly
mistyped in the attendee list, what just adds distrust to the process looking
manual and prone to errors.

I also agree with the need of openness in the process, BUT the IETF has not any
right to infringe the laws/regulations even if the openness is so important.
Just imagine that a given country decides to block because something like this
(not complying the local laws, that in this case are very common at least as I
know in Europe), the www.ietf.org or even the mail exploders on that domain. It
will be much worst !

Despite this, I think you provide a very good solution for this with your
suggested boilerplate. Probably this is the minimum legal one that we should
have. We like it or not, we live in a world with rules, that we must accept (or
change). In part the problem is probably that there is not a clear legal
situation for a non-legal organization ... but that's another history.

The other good example is the IPv6 issue. As I recall, I saw (and even
participated) in that debate a couple of times. Today I see no objective reason
for not doing that, but we don't have a decision on that. Is that good ? Is
this what we expect for an open process ?

Regards,
Jordi