Re: respect privacy please !

2004-05-21 17:45:07
Tim Chown wrote:

On Sat, May 22, 2004 at 12:05:00AM +1000, grenville armitage wrote:

This could be solved by the IETF insisting that consent is required
before attendance. I, like John, do not believe it is acceptable for
the IETF meetings to be populated by anonymous attendees.

The issue is someone knowing where I am for a week, in advance.

If your threat model postulates someone knowing enough about you to check
for your IETF registration, then simply knowing when IETF meetings occur gives
them a pretty good start. Testing your email account for 'out of office'
replies gives them on-the-week confirmation. Just watching what you've
been saying on ietf mailing lists leading up to the next scheduled IETF
meeting can confirm their suspicions.

I.e. hiding IETF registrations is hardly likely to impact on the threat offered
to your personal security by anyone knowledgable enough about your behavior
to be checking the IETF's online registrations list in the first place.

But in any case, post-meeting release of the registration list would go
along way to satisfying the goal of knowing "who was there".

cheers,
gja