Re: respect privacy please !

2004-05-21 06:57:35
Jordi,

This has been discussed several times before. While I share your discomfort, IETF is not some "conference" you might be attending. It is very difficult to claim that one has an open standards process when some participants are permitted attend meetings and, potentially, influence decisions while being hidden or anonymous. We do not discourage people from lurking quietly on mailing lists. But I think that, as soon as anyone more actively participates -- whether by posting to mailing lists or attending meetings (especially since the latter is a qualification for Nomcom membership that must be publicly verifiable) -- then I think desires for privacy have to yield to the importance of trust in the IETF community and its processes. As with IPR disclosures, if one can't accept the rules, the best option is to decide to not play.

Out of curiosity, would you feed better about this if the boilerplate you need to page through to register said, explicitly, "if you don't want your name to be made public as a registrant and participant, please don't register or attend" or "by registering, you consent..."? I don't have any control over the text or decisions but assume that, if lots of people wanted such language to eliminate any misunderstandings about whether you had consented, the IESG and Secretariat would probably agree to add it.

At least the Secretariat no longer feels a need to publish email addresses with the list of registrants :-(

    best,
     john

p.s. Note that the above is purely a process and moral position. There is, I'm sure, a legal one that parallels it, but I'd rather not go there --and set off a wave of amateur lawyering-- if we can help it.