Re: Response to complaint from Dean Anderson (fwd)

2004-06-18 18:09:25
Thus spake "Harald Tveit Alvestrand" <harald(_at_)alvestrand(_dot_)no>
I have replied that I do not see the merit to your complaint, and have NOT
asked Rob Austein to change his address, have NOT asked ISC to change
their
antispam policies, and have NOT asked SORBS to change ther listings -
having concluded that none of these is the IETF's business.

(the alternative - declaring that every antispam function of every system
that is used by an IETF participant is a matter for the IETF to have an
opinion on, and possibly work to have changed, every time it causes a
message to bounce or be dropped - is simply not workable.)

While I disagree with Dean in general and also with most of his current
argument, I think it is a reasonable request that IETF "officials" be given
an @ietf.org email alias and that those aliases be published for use in
situations such as this.

It's probably going too far to require sending mail from those aliases;
despite Dean's faults, he's smart enough to use the published alias if he
gets a bounce from someone's personal or work address.

Stephen Sprunk      "Those people who think they know everything
CCIE #3723         are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
K5SSS                                             --Isaac Asimov