Re: Response to complaint from Dean Anderson (fwd)

2004-06-18 19:48:25
Thus spake "David Kessens" <david(_dot_)kessens(_at_)nokia(_dot_)com>
On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 07:28:40PM -0500, Stephen Sprunk wrote:
While I disagree with Dean in general and also with most of his current
argument, I think it is a reasonable request that IETF "officials" be
given
an @ietf.org email alias and that those aliases be published for use in
situations such as this.

I like this idea (for other reasons) but I am not sure whether this
really addresses this particular problem:

Dean's problem is that he sends mail from an open relay, which isc.org's
servers block completely (with good reason, sorry Dean).  ietf.org's servers
apparently don't since we all receive his rants, and presumably isc.org
doesn't block mail from ietf.org, so this would solve the immediate problem.

Even if I would have an @ietf.org account, I would still want to use my
anti-spam filters.  I just get too much spam and generic accounts like
this are bound to attract an enormous amount of spam. Unfortunately,
the cost of miscategorizing a mail has become lower than the cost of
checking all my mail manually.

I don't object to those aliases pointing to systems with content-based
anti-spam systems; if Dean's mail looks like spam, individual people could
whitelist him without also being subjected to any spam passing through his
open relay.  Though, of course, the odds are slim any of us would do that.

Stephen Sprunk      "Those people who think they know everything
CCIE #3723         are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
K5SSS                                             --Isaac Asimov