Re: What exactly is an internet (service) provider?

2004-06-22 07:53:20
John C Klensin;

With your motivation explained and with your three new categories,
all of which are unrelated to telecommunication providers but
related to hotels, I think I can understand your fundamental
mistake.

That is, your draft should have been titled:

        Terminologies on Telecommunication Service Categories of
        Accomodation Service Providers

Given that your stay is temporary, permanent addresses are of
little value. Moreover, as most, if not all, hotels use NAT,
it is of little value to mention global addresses.

So, in the new draft, you should avoid the word "ISP". Instead,
you can, for example, say ASAP (Application Service Access
Provider).

Mobile operators in Japan does provide access to web services,
though not over IP, that they are WSAP. Or, do you like better
calling them Web Access Service Providers?

                                                Masataka Ohta