RE: What exactly is an internet (service) provider?

2004-06-21 02:18:34
Again we run into the thorny old policy issue of viewing the user as merely
a captive consumer.

But what happens when it turns out that to consume you need to run an
application not "supported" by the intervening network?

This is clearly a break of the principle of end to end application
transparency that the IP layer provides. This does necessarily break the
semantic description of Internet Service Provider. But there is little to be
done arguing that point now.

The problem as a travelling user (or as a housebound German it seems) is you
don't know what you are going to be able to do until you try and as a hotel
or end node provider you may legally have an obligation to try to protect
your network from being a source of abuse by transients.

A traveller cannot change ISP easily so either will just have to accept some
things cannot be done or will find a way. As it happens one can preplan and
setup a proxy service or a tunnel broker etc that can get round many of
these issues.

Perhaps the IETF would be wiser to give a warning about the futility of
trying to break application transparency. "The Internet user may always find
a way to communicate on their own terms"

Christian

Christian de Larrinaga