Re: Names of standards-track RFCs

2004-07-14 12:23:43
Hi -

From: "Daniel Senie" <dts(_at_)senie(_dot_)com>
To: <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Wednesday, July 14, 2004 11:30 AM
Subject: Re: Names of standards-track RFCs
Now a different viewpoint. When looking at drafts as they go by on
id-announce, nothing gets me more annoyed than reading the title and
summary, and having no idea what the document is about. The audience for
documents spreads beyond those working in the very specific area. New
acronyms pop up often, and frequently the same acronym means different
things to different folks in this industry. Spelling out is essential.

Agreed.  Spelling things out becomes even more important as
documents age.  Consider, for example, "IMP" in some of the
older RFCs.  I suspect many IETF participants have never seen
or used one, yet this was probably considered "well known" when
those RFCs were written.

Randy