Re: survey on Friday IETF sessions

2004-07-22 06:54:14

"Tim" == Tim Chown <tjc(_at_)ecs(_dot_)soton(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk> writes:
    >> For me, it is rare to have meals that are not meetings of some
    >> sort. And I often have face-to-face editing sessions on IETF
    >> business or offline-but-topical discussions with customers and
    >> partners during slots that I don't have scheduled meetings in.

    Tim> I think it is useful to have lunch gaps to have fringe
    Tim> meetings, and many people may wish to retain the ability to
    Tim> arrange gatherings outside the main program.

  If asked, I would give up an hour of the dinner break and retain the
lunch break. The why is simple: the 2 hours we have to dinner is both
too long for a quick bite, and too short for a relaxed meal.

    Tim> I've also been to Internet 2 meetings where they have WG or
    Tim> special interest meetings through lunch, and you take lunch
    Tim> into the meeting.  That seems to work fine.  These are meetings

  Hmm. That could work, but aren't IETF meetings a bit bigger than
Internet2? I'm thinking about the logistics of 1200 people trying to get
a bag lunch all at the same time.

    Tim> I can remember an IETF over a year ago where Iljitsch and
    Tim> Michel organised a whole week of unofficial multi6 meetings
    Tim> through the event.  So if you pick your slots, and the people

  And... some of us couldn't make any of those either.
  having been on nomcom one year, I can tell you --- there are people
who make use of every single gap in the day.
  I think it comes back to:
    a) some groups probably shouldn't meet as often
    b) some groups perhaps shouldn't exist at all
    c) some groups need 6-10 hours of continuous face-time in which they
       can actually get things done. We have pushed such things to
       interim meetings, sometimes with success, sometimes without.
       The problem is that these groups get 4 hours at IETF, easily
       fill that, and still feel that they didn't get everything done.

  We can tweak the schedule a bit and get some time back for some
people. At least, perhaps even things out. Someone needs to run an
online scheduling experiment, and see what we can actually do with some
sophisticated scheduling software. (Most of it is very hard to use
right, based upon my experience with our local transit company.)

  I'm not in the loop on the problem-statement stuff, having missed two
IETFs, and been busy. But that's where some of the answers need to come
from.

- --
]     "Elmo went to the wrong fundraiser" - The Simpson         |  firewalls  [
] mcr(_at_)xelerance(_dot_)com      http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/mcr/