Re: archives (was The other parts of the report....

2004-09-10 12:03:32
%
%         One of those terms/conditions was a limited period
%         of publication, after which, the rights revert back
%         to the author(s).
%
% ps - look at RFC 3667 section 1 (g)
%
% Scott

        ah... but said RFC did not exist at the time my IDs
        went out. and my cursory perusal of said RFC seems
        to indicate that it is mute on materials submitted
        into the IETF process in times that pre-date said
        RFC existance.  In my case, the drafts in question
        clearly state the terms/conditions of publication
        by the IETF and where said copywright resides.
        Now perhaps the IETF should have refused publication,
        but it did not... so I believe that the T/C in the
        draft are valid.  Legacy stuff is quite thorny.
        Perhaps MO's law should be called on and one could
        let sleeping dogs/drafts alone.

        RFC 3667 section 1(g) clearly covers most all new
        drafts, save RFC Editor contributions and material
        that is limited by section 3.3(a)(c) -

        that said, it could be that the 40,000 or so legacy
        draft authors won't care, but it would be sound hygiene
        to ask them if they mind if RFC 3667 rules would apply
        to their contributions.

--bill