Re: Things that I think obvious....

2004-09-15 23:57:29
Margaret,

I think you captured what I wanted to say well. Thank you!

--On onsdag, september 15, 2004 09:19:08 -0400 Margaret Wasserman <margaret(_at_)thingmagic(_dot_)com> wrote:

Hi Harald,

As you say below, "clarity is good".  So, before I respond to this post,
I would like to better understand what you are asking...

RFC 3716 includes the following section:

"4.3.  Who Can Decide

    The AdvComm believes that the IETF leadership, acting with the advice
    and consent of the IETF community and ISOC, have the ability and the
    responsibility to act on the recommendation to formalize the IETF."

So, given your definitions below and the contents of other messages, I
think you are asking whether there is IETF community consensus on the
following statement:

    The [IESG and IAB], acting with the advice and consent of the [people
    who do the technical work of the IETF] and ISOC, have the ability and
    the responsibility to act on the recommendation to formalize the IETF
    [administrative support activity].

To make a decision regarding whether or not I agree with this statement,
I would need to understand what is meant by "advice and consent".  In
previous non-public conversations, these terms have been defined as
follows:

- ADVICE - someone posits a problem, the group discusses, and comes up
with viewpoints that may or may not be helpful. The viewpoints go back
to the person(s) being advised, but the group is NOT expected to reach a
decision. Conflicting opinions are expected, and are Not A Problem.

- CONSENT - someone makes a proposal, and asks for the consent of the
group. The group uses the consensus process to develop a position, but
the outcome is much more bounded than in consensus problem solving -
generally, it's limited to "I can live with this" and "Go back and try
again, this won't work".

Advice from the community can be obtained through discussion on this (and
other?) IETF mailing lists and through plenary discussions.

The usual method for determining the consent of the community is through
IETF Last Call and IESG review/approval.

In other words, I think you are proposing that the options for
administrative restructuring should be discussed openly (as they are
being discussed now) so that the community has an opportunity to provide
advice, that the IAB & IESG should jointly develop a specific proposal
for further community review/advice, and that the final proposal should
be subject to community consent through the usual IETF Last Call and IESG
review/approval mechanism.

Am I understanding your question correctly?  If so, then yes, I do agree
with it.

...but I don't consider it to be at all obvious.

Margaret