Re: Yahoo is not using ESMTP

2004-11-15 11:43:05
On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 06:40:35 EST, Fred Baker said:

That is the ISP's choice. As a percentage of total volume, SMTP/ESMTP is a
small proportion of total traffic, or so please I can read sample
measurements (like
http://www.caida.org/dynamic/analysis/workload/sdnap/0_0_/ts_top_n_app_bytes.
html)
would lead me to believe.

Umm.. what *exactly* is upstream of that interface?  I strongly suspect
that it's *heavily* influenced by *local* preferences/configuration.

For instance, at *all* timescales (5-min, hour, day, week, year), as I write
this, SMTP and SSH are on the same order of magnitude.  However, in the global
net, there's massive problems with SMTP spam, and the "average user" certainly
doesn't use SSH to the same extent as e-mail....

Unless of course, that was your point, and I managed to miss it.