Re: Yahoo is not using ESMTP

2004-11-16 04:29:42
Gordon(_dot_)Lennox(_at_)cec(_dot_)eu(_dot_)int wrote:

I was in a spam workshop yesterday and a guy was saying that spam was
a bandwidth issue. I suppose it is if you are on the end of a slow
link and (therefore?) all you are doing is e-mail: a big chunk of
everything you do is always a lot.

Being on dialup also affects the perception because the mail tends to
build up into large chunks that you download while waiting (and waiting
and waiting).  By contrast, with pretty much any kind of always-on link
(even that slow), it trickles in, you get alerted when one arrives, and
the total bandwidth of email is seen as a tiny fraction for most of us.
(If you are being absolutely barraged with spam, literally in the
millions per day, I suppose it might become a large fraction.)

So from the WSIS/WGIG perspective I am being asked: is spam a
significant (network) problem for certain parts of the world? Maybe
more importantly: will it still be so in UN timescales?

IMHO, it is not a *computer* bandwidth issue but a *human* bandwidth
issue, something which does not increase anywhere near as quickly.  I
can only read the subjects, let alone content, of so many emails a day.
(For some people, there is also the "offense" issue.)

-Dave

--
David J. Aronson
Work: http://destined.to/program