RE: Yahoo is not using ESMTP

2004-11-16 02:00:50
When I had a 14.4K modem *all* I did was e-mail.

Even with 56K surfing was not fun and the web was only consulted in case of
real need.<g>

But now...

So maybe it simply depends where you are on the curve.

I was in a spam workshop yesterday and a guy was saying that spam was a
bandwidth issue. I suppose it is if you are on the end of a slow link and
(therefore?) all you are doing is e-mail: a big chunk of everything you do
is always a lot. But it appears not so if you are on a fast connection where
e-mail traffic is low in the single digits.

So from the WSIS/WGIG perspective I am being asked: is spam a significant
(network) problem for certain parts of the world? Maybe more importantly:
will it still be so in UN timescales?

Gordon

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of
Franck Martin
Sent: Tuesday, November 16, 2004 12:35 AM
To: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: Yahoo is not using ESMTP

This is interesting, because on our side of the world, when I do an
analysis, I can see that mail is about 30% of the TCP traffic, with the
web being about 40% of TCP traffic.

I guess we do not have the same needs over very slow links...