RE: How the IPnG effort was started

2004-11-18 05:36:48

Harald Tveit Alvestrand Wrote [18 November 2004 18:08]
--On torsdag, november 18, 2004 10:26:07 +0100 "JFC (Jefsey) Morfin"
<jefsey(_at_)jefsey(_dot_)com> wrote:

The least they want to hear is "relative ease of acquiring
v6 address
space" even least than "relative ease to delpoy". This is
what we think
great. This is something they do not even understand. They want a
permanent numeric ID they will be able to use everywhere. Just in
powering up.

You know, just like a mobile number.

you know, there was this newfangled thingie invented a few months ago
called a "name".... not only can you get it for nearly-free,
it's actually
written in letters so that you can tell someone else what it
is without
having to Spell Out All These Numbers.... gosh, I've even
heard of people
REMEMBERING them..... sometimes even on the first try.....

and oh yes, you can use it with some fancy stuff back on the
Internet to
look up stuff like those silly numbers you never want to look
at again... I
think they call it the Domain Name System or something....

Numbers are for losers and technologists.

So I take it that you are the only Alvestrand in Norway?  That must be nice
for you.  But names are very rarely  unique outside of a very limited
context.  When the "naming scheme" is changed so that the context is
specified along with the name, you end up with a scheme that is just as hard
(if not harder) to remember.  Is it easyer to remember a telephone number
itself (ignoring personal phone-books), or the exact spelling of someones
name, the the exchange they are on, the country they are in and do you say
"America", "The States", "The United States", "USA" etc), the exact spelling
of their name (and due to your "inernational presence", I would place a bet
that at least one person in the past has mis-spelt your name "Harold" when
addressing you directly).

As a thought - Does anyone know the number of DNS registrations in the .US
ccTLD?

Jools.