Re: How the IPnG effort was started

2004-11-20 09:23:24
Dear Stephen,
there are two things necessary first to accept:

- that what we name "names" and "addresses" are two of the three main ways to identify objects. The way linked to the object, the way attached to the system, the way related to the users. And because this analysis is not worded clearly and there only two accepted levels there is a lot of confusion. This confusion is increased by the routing Internet system.

- a identification plan is something far more complex than a protocol which is not to be designed a minima, in a few mails but which calls for experience, studies, consensus of a lot of authorities, worldwide. For example, you cannot say that you treat all the countries in the world with "9" bits. There are scores of standards, study, needs,billions of daily affected usages, transactions, records, legal consequences, etc. etc ... to be taken into account. This is not something where a Government "can apply" for a /32 to some RIR. This is something where States sovereignty _decide_through a carefully designed treaty. This is why IPv6 does not fulfill the need the way it is proposed. Again, the problem is not the protocol, the problem is the lack of interest in the way the numbering is to be managed. Which makes it useless for most of the uses it could be also used for, and the world need to see addressed. Add to the resulting Vint/US centrric way it is perceived.

I accept that we did it quickly, and alone, 20 years ago for X.121. But we did because we were licensed to do it by the FCC, within an ITU (CCITT) consensus aggregating all the telecom monopolies which were our customers (delegating us) and partners for that (we were the leading public operator and the source/end of their international traffic and the manufacturer of their technology). We kept them informed and seek their direction in bi-yearly meeting we made _them_ to organize and chair. Also we only proposed a framework, we discussed it with every monopolies listening to and embodying their remarks, respecting the standard they had voted. We also only partly committed 20% of the numbering space (0-- and 9--) and make it easily reversible or mendable by them. We listen to the users and to their dealy changes and developments, we did not evangelize them with a 15 years old theoretical gospel. I do not say this to criticize, but taking advantage from a positive experience may be useful and helpful when one are mudded in a problem. Obviously these are two different situations.