Re: Adminrest: created IPR

2004-12-03 11:38:22
"Harald" == Harald Tveit Alvestrand <harald(_at_)alvestrand(_dot_)no>
writes:

    Harald> --On fredag, desember 03, 2004 10:19:23 +0100 Henrik
    Harald> Levkowetz
    Harald> <henrik(_at_)levkowetz(_dot_)com> wrote:

    >>  What about this text, (added to 2.2.6):
    >>
    >> "As a matter of principle the IAOC and IAD should ensure that
    >> any contracts for IASA clearly designate that any software,
    >> databases, and websites developed should be available to the
    >> IETF with no restriction by the contractor.  Software should be
    >> open source and data should be made available to the IETF in
    >> machine-readable format, also in cases where it may be
    >> inadvisable to make the data openly available."
    >>

    Harald> this works for me (my only problem is stylistic - it's
    Harald> somewhat long for a principle, so may fit better in the
    Harald> "details" sections, if a place can be found for it).
I like the spirit of this as well.  I think it would be nice for the
software developed with IETF money to be open source especially in
situations where there is not a compelling reason to do otherwise.  I
think that data should generally be openly available, with exceptions
for things like mailing list subscriptions, archives of private
mailing lists, etc.

--Sam