Re: Adminrest: created IPR

2004-12-03 12:43:34
Hi Leslie,

on 2004-12-03 6:19 pm Leslie Daigle said the following:
Henrik,

I believe that's true of the principle, expressed this way:

[I wrote:]
 >>Taking the step back -- the principle was that the IETF should
 >>retain the rights to, ability to access, and ability to move
 >>the data it creates.    Period.

I (still) believe that the text that was proposed (detailing
*how* to implement that principle) is in danger of
locking us out of, say, contracting with a professional
meeting organization service that has proprietary software
for managing meeting attendee lists.  (I.e., software that
could do a data dump for us, but that is not open source,
for which we will not have license to run in perpetuity,
yada yada yada).

I agree that we should not lock ourselves out of the possibility
to avail ourselves of services of the kind you delineate here,
(something I also tried to indicate in a response to Bert
on this topic earlier).

But I also believe that the principle you state initially above deals
only with the data, and leaves the issue of tools _developed for_
the IETF undefined; a case which is different from services bought by
the IETF, provided by independently developed tools - the case you
illustrate in your example.

It is this distinct case I would prefer to have covered, in
addition to the case for the data (on which I agree).

        Henrik

Leslie.

Henrik Levkowetz wrote:
No, I think that as a principle that prevents us from inadvertently
or short-sightedly putting ourself into a locked-in position vis-a-vis
a contractor, this kind of statement of principle is exactly what
we need.

     Henrik