Re: Adminrest: created IPR

2004-12-03 12:30:39

Hang on... are we not getting too detailed again, at the
risk of over-constraining ourselves?

As has been mentioned on this thread -- we (IETF) may well want
to take advantage of non-open-source software, if it's the
most effective & efficient choice.  I'm thinking specifically
of contracting with a provider that has their own software tools.

Neither should we be constraining ourselves to choose from
providers with open source tools, nor should we be requiring
that *all* features we ask to add to those tools be available
as open source, or freely to the IETF, etc.

Taking the step back -- the principle was that the IETF should
retain the rights to, ability to access, and ability to move
the data it creates.    Period.

Sensible ways of achieving that include (but are not limited
to) working with open source tools and/or ensuring we retain ownership
of any software that touches that data.  Others include
using reasonably accessible off the shelf software (one Excel
program is much the same as the next...), or agreeing on
data interchange formats.  Let's not try to make the laundry list
in this document.

Leslie.