Re: New Last Call: 'Tags for Identifying Languages' to BCP

2004-12-17 07:17:10
 Date: 2004-12-14 13:02
 From: John Cowan <jcowan(_at_)reutershealth(_dot_)com>
 To: "Addison Phillips [wM]" <aphillips(_at_)webmethods(_dot_)com>
 CC: ietf-languages(_at_)iana(_dot_)org

Addison Phillips [wM] scripsit:

The IETF process is not really my concern. I will note that many IETF and
non-IETF standards folks have participated in the process of developing and
reviewing draft-langtags, though.

Actually, we're all IETF people.  If you're on an IETF mailing list discussing
an IETF item of work like an RFC, you're part of the IETF.  The process
is designed to serve us, not vice versa.

It's not quite that simple; IETF process has several specific requirements
(as spelled out in RFC 2026) -- an IETF Working group requires a charter
with a well-defined scope, specific milestones, etc.  There is an official
list of IETF working groups.