Re: New Last Call: 'Tags for Identifying Languages' to BCP

2004-12-18 11:47:25
 Date: 2004-12-15 14:09
 From: "Peter Constable" <petercon(_at_)microsoft(_dot_)com>
 To: ietf-languages(_at_)alvestrand(_dot_)no, ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org

From: ietf-languages-bounces(_at_)alvestrand(_dot_)no
[mailto:ietf-languages-
bounces(_at_)alvestrand(_dot_)no] On Behalf Of Bruce Lilly

Currently sr-CS has a specific
meaning under RFC 3066; it has had for some time.

The meaning "Serbia and Montenegro" was introduced relatively recently
(a little more than a year ago), was immediately received with alarm by
many in the IT sector. There were vain attempts to get it reversed, and
that failure was an impetus to introduce protection against such changes
in the revision of RFC 3066. I am not aware of "CS" being used in the IT
sector with the new meaning, though cannot guarantee that.

I can. I could, but won't, simply put some content up
with that meaning.  One example will serve to establish
the existing usage; I'll provide two (I'm a heavy tipper :-).
I could provide more, but that would be superfluous.

1. URI http://welcome.hp.com/country/cs/sr/welcome.html
   Aside from the obvious usage in the URI itself, the
   HTML content contains the following (my commentary
   marks items of particular relevance):

"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd";>

   N.B. the specific language-tag "sr-cs"!

zemlje - Promenom izbora pre&#263;i &#263;ete na lokaciju izabrane zemlje">
                <option selected>Srbija i Crna Gora-Srpski

2. URI http://www.ibm.com/cs/
   Once again, note the use in the URI itself.
   Content includes:

<title>IBM Srbija I Crna Gora</title>

   N.B. "cs" and "sr" used together.

<!-- cs/sr/all assembled by mhpb v1.1 on Thu, 25 Nov 2004 12:22:14 CUT -->

   N.B. "CS" and "sr" together again.

Clearly neither example is referring to the no longer
extant "Czechoslovakia"...  And Hewlett-Packard (having
acquired DEC and Compaq) and IBM clearly constitute
representatives of "the IT sector".