RE: New Last Call: 'Tags for Identifying Languages' to BCP

2004-12-20 12:00:12
 Date: 2004-12-18 20:33
 From: "Addison Phillips [wM]" <aphillips(_at_)webmethods(_dot_)com>
 To: aphillips(_at_)webmethods(_dot_)com,
ned(_dot_)freed(_at_)mrochek(_dot_)com, "Bruce Lilly"
<blilly(_at_)erols(_dot_)com>
 CC: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org, ietf-languages(_at_)alvestrand(_dot_)no
 Reply to: aphillips(_at_)webmethods(_dot_)com

Hmm...

That's "as an editorial issue and not a technical issue".
[...]
The -CS subtag issue doesn't strike me as a technical issue with
the draft. The draft stabilizes the meaning of subtags. There is
a process in the draft for setting the initial (and thus stable)
meaning of the -CS subtag. While it probably matters which value
(Czechoslovakia or Serbia and Montenegro) that is selected, it is
only of editorial interest to the draft itself... unless what
Bruce is trying to prove is that stabilizing the meaning of the
subtags is a Bad Idea, which I don't think is his point.

I'm willing to entertain a debate about which meaning ought to be
selected. But really it ought to be recognized as not an
editorial issue with the draft and not a technical objection.

I believe that it's more than an editorial issue, and that
there are both technical and non-technical matters involved.
While I wouldn't say "that stabilizing the meaning of the
subtags is a Bad Idea", I do believe that the particular
approach taken raises some disturbing issues, and I suspect
that there are process-related considerations that could have
avoided them.  Jefsey Morfin and Vernon Schryver have touched
on procedural issues; I plan to discuss my specific concerns
and suggestions, but it make take a few days due to the
impending holidays and other work for me to collect and
organize my thoughts on those matters.