RE: New Last Call: 'Tags for Identifying Languages' to BCP

2004-12-18 18:42:40
Hmm...

That's "as an editorial issue and not a technical issue".

Addison

Addison P. Phillips
Director, Globalization Architecture
http://www.webMethods.com

Chair, W3C Internationalization Working Group
http://www.w3.org/International

It is not a feature.

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-languages-bounces(_at_)alvestrand(_dot_)no
[mailto:ietf-languages-bounces(_at_)alvestrand(_dot_)no]On Behalf Of Addison
Phillips [wM]
Sent: 2004年12月18日 16:49
To: ned(_dot_)freed(_at_)mrochek(_dot_)com; Bruce Lilly
Cc: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org; ietf-languages(_at_)alvestrand(_dot_)no
Subject: RE: New Last Call: 'Tags for Identifying Languages' to BCP

We (Mark and I) welcome the last call process and timelines and
the feedback these generate. That's the whole point of having a Last Call.

The -CS subtag issue doesn't strike me as a technical issue with
the draft. The draft stabilizes the meaning of subtags. There is
a process in the draft for setting the initial (and thus stable)
meaning of the -CS subtag. While it probably matters which value
(Czechoslovakia or Serbia and Montenegro) that is selected, it is
only of editorial interest to the draft itself... unless what
Bruce is trying to prove is that stabilizing the meaning of the
subtags is a Bad Idea, which I don't think is his point.

I'm willing to entertain a debate about which meaning ought to be
selected. But really it ought to be recognized as not an
editorial issue with the draft and not a technical objection.

Best Regards,