Re: Excellent choice for summer meeting location!

2005-01-04 06:35:53
Dassa wrote:

|> -What kind of city with a population of 75,000 has hotel
|> accommodations for 2000 people unless it's a tourist Mecca
|> and likely expensive and overbooked?

A lot of regional centres are geared to large numbers of tourists/visitors.
As for expensive and overbooked, I find most large cities have prices two or
three times those in regional centres for accommadation and as any use of a
regional centre would be a big bonus to the host city, there is scope for
negotiation and I'm sure additional price cuts.

Not many regional cities would have the conference facilities that will cope with an IETF, it's not your normal conference that just needs a single large plenary hall.

I will also note that in 2000 Adelaide, a city of around 1 million people, struggled for hotel rooms given that people not associated with the IETF also wanted hotel rooms in the city :)

Mark.