RE: Excellent choice for summer meeting location!

2005-01-02 20:02:35
Bruce Lilly <> supposedly scribbled:

 Date: 2005-01-01 21:20
 From: "Glen Zorn \(gwz\)" <gwz(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com>

Yes, I did (though I admit I see little humor is the story).
However, my main point was not so much that we would die in droves
(or at all); more to the point is the question of why we seem to go
out of our way to find unpleasant weather for our meetings.

I suspect that's not a primary consideration. OTOH, it's probably a
beneficial side-effect considering the criticism that another
organization whose abbreviated name also begins with "I" has
attracted due to its choice of balmy, chic, and expensive meeting
venues...

Are you talking about the IEEE?  I've not been regularly attending 802 for
awhile now but when I was the favorite spot seemed to be the DFW Hyat (hardly
balmy or chic).

Of course, the MAXIMUM temperatures quoted in the *exceptional*
Paris summer of 2003 were 104 degrees Fahrenheit;

2003 was, indeed, exceptional.  OTOH, it is hardly exceptional that
everyone who can leave the city in August, does.  This is no doubt
because it is just so damn pleasant they can't stand it, right?

No, it's because (nearly) everybody goes on vacation at the same time.

As the old joke about Hell goes, "It ain't the heat, it's the
humidity."

Would you prefer New York or Tokyo in July-September? Both cities
frequently have Summer temperatures near or above 100 F with humidity
near 100%. [And several millions of inhabitants in each metropolitan
area cope with the climate]

Merely because one can find someplace worse doesn't make bad good.

Hope this helps,

~gwz

Why is it that most of the world's problems can't be solved by simply
  listening to John Coltrane? -- Henry Gabriel