RE: Excellent choice for summer meeting location!

2005-01-03 15:08:17
HIDEGA TIKU Lea RD-TCH-ISS <> supposedly scribbled:

Dear Glen Zorn

It is startling to see your remarks about, "Paris in August" as:

a.    "deadly".  On your mail of 31/12/2004

b.    "physical danger of meeting in Paris in August". On your
mail of
31/12/2004

c.    "the point is the question of why we seem to go out of our
way to
find unpleasant weather for our meetings".  On your mail of
02/01/2005

So, what do you suggest?...

Are you then claiming that there is _nowhere_ in France that a) is
capable of hosting a meeting with the IETF's requirements and b) the
weather is more pleasant?

To use the unfortunate weather calamity of August 2003 in France
is a
counterfeit reason to try and sabotage the work of many women and
men
working hard to make this meeting the most agreeable possible.

????  Absolute nonsense!  The meeting site and date is set, there is
nothing to do about it now.  BTW, when I saw in November that the
_spring_ IETF was scheduled in Paris, I was absolutely overjoyed; in
fact I thought that it had to be a mistake, that the powers-that-be
would _never_ allow us to meet in one of (if not _the_) greatest
cities in the world at the perfect time of the year.  Unfortunately,
my misgivings proved to be correct, for whatever reasons.

This
is equivalent to saying, not to go to New York because of 9/11 and
not to ever go to Asia where the Tsunami had happened.

No, it's equivalent to saying not to go to Yokohama during typhoon
season (which we already did) or Phoenix in August (I really should
stop mentioning Arizona or we may end up there next summer ;-).

I don't understand your motivation for acting this way; but, I
would
like to discuss this issue with Cisco officials.

Discuss away!  As for my motivation, I attend these little
geek-fests 3 times a year & have been doing so for longer than I
care to admit.  Since I am there for 6 days, I would really like to
be able to go _outside_ and _enjoy_ it (or at least without risking
either frostbite or heatstroke).  Is that so hard to understand?
(Before the flames start, yes, San Diego's weather is at least
tolerable almost all the time -- I'm amazed we ever go there).

France Telecom, the host for the 63rd IETF August 2005 meeting, is
paying for the rental of the venue and provides the network.

That's unfortunate: when Microsoft hosted the IETF in Orlando the
meeting rooms were free, contingent upon the level of guaranteed
occupancy.

Therefore, on behalf of France Telecom, I would like to insure the
community that we are doing our best to make this meeting the most
effective, efficient and safe (not "deadly") possible.

Did someone suggest that you weren't?

We have
reported the event to the security officials, and I will post the
messages.

Please let me know your remarks.

Hidega