Re: Excellent choice for summer meeting location!

2005-01-05 09:28:17
 Date: 2005-01-02 21:56
 From: "Glen Zorn \(gwz\)" <gwz(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com>

Bruce Lilly <> supposedly scribbled:

OTOH, it's probably a
beneficial side-effect considering the criticism that another
organization whose abbreviated name also begins with "I" has
attracted due to its choice of balmy, chic, and expensive meeting
venues...

Are you talking about the IEEE?

No, it was a reference to ICANN, which has come under quite
a bit of criticism.  A web search for ICANN + meeting should
turn up a few million references...

Would you prefer New York or Tokyo in July-September? Both cities
frequently have Summer temperatures near or above 100 F with humidity
near 100%. [And several millions of inhabitants in each metropolitan
area cope with the climate]

Merely because one can find someplace worse doesn't make bad good.

Bitch, bitch, bitch... :-)  I've lived in New York for a quarter
century and traveled to Tokyo on business in July (and in December).
The weather in Summer can be a bit uncomfortable at times, but it's
tolerable.  If you really want to talk about discomfort, try Las
Vegas in July/August (ACM SIGGRAPH meetings have been held there
a few times); 115 degrees F with unhealthily low humidity (10%
RH outdoors, essentially zero anywhere there's an air conditioner).
The choice is between dehydration in sweltering heat or extremely
rapid dehydration amidst the raucous din of slot machines or
dehydration in meeting rooms. Paris sounds positively delightful
in comparison.