Re: Excellent choice for summer meeting location!

2005-01-02 09:31:15
 Date: 2005-01-01 21:20
 From: "Glen Zorn \(gwz\)" <gwz(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com>

Yes, I did (though I admit I see little humor is the story).
However, my main point was not so much that we would die in droves
(or at all); more to the point is the question of why we seem to go
out of our way to find unpleasant weather for our meetings.

I suspect that's not a primary consideration. OTOH, it's
probably a beneficial side-effect considering the criticism
that another organization whose abbreviated name also begins
with "I" has attracted due to its choice of balmy, chic, and
expensive meeting venues...

Of course, the MAXIMUM temperatures quoted in the *exceptional*
Paris
summer of 2003 were 104 degrees Fahrenheit;

2003 was, indeed, exceptional.  OTOH, it is hardly exceptional that
everyone who can leave the city in August, does.  This is no doubt
because it is just so damn pleasant they can't stand it, right?

No, it's because (nearly) everybody goes on vacation at
the same time.

As the old joke about Hell goes, "It ain't the heat, it's the
humidity."

Would you prefer New York or Tokyo in July-September? Both
cities frequently have Summer temperatures near or above
100 F with humidity near 100%. [And several millions of
inhabitants in each metropolitan area cope with the climate]