Acceptability of in-kind donations [was RE: Last Call Comments on draft-iasa-bcp-04.txt]

2005-01-17 07:48:14
<hat editor=on>

Seems we forgot to send issues as ONE ISSUE per EMAIL PLEASE
and use a proper SUBJECT line, so that we can easily check
all mail/postings related to one single issue.

<hat editor=off>

<hat just-bert-as-an-individual=on>

I agree with Scott and Carl.

<hat just-bert-as-an-individual=on>

Bert
-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org]On Behalf Of
Carl Malamud
Sent: Sunday, January 16, 2005 05:56
To: Scott Bradner
Cc: margaret(_at_)thingmagic(_dot_)com; ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: Last Call Comments on draft-iasa-bcp-04.txt

I agree with Scott on this one.  In-kind contributions are
great if they
have a real purpose, which in this case it means the folks
responsible for
deploying the contribution have to agree it is worth the trouble.

Another example is somebody accepting a bunch of equipment for use in
the next IETF meeting when the NOC doesn't necessarily need
or want that
item.

Regards,

Carl

Margaret asks

ISSUE #5:

    6.  There shall be a detailed public accounting to separately
        identify all funds available to and all
expenditures relating to
        the IETF and to the IASA, including any
donations, of funds or
        in-kind, received by ISOC for IETF-related
activities.  In-kind
        donations shall only be accepted at the direction
of the IAD and
        IAOC.

 What is the purpose of the last line?  Is there some fear that
 someone would accept inapproprite in-kind donations?
What happens
 if they do?

I intended that last line to make it clear that its the
IETF (though the
IAD and IAOC) that decides if an in-kind donations is
actually something
that the IETF wants and is comfortable with any conditions - for
example someone might be concerned if the ISOC accepted an offer
from Bill' bait & sushi shop to sponsor lunches at IETF
with the minor
requirement that an add for BB&SS be appened to all RFCs

Scott