Re: Rough consensus? #425 3.5

2005-01-19 09:53:43
Hi Harald et al -

I apologize for chiming in on this so late, but I had hopes it would get worked out without me pushing over apple carts.

I can't support this and I recommend deleting this section in its entirety.

My cut on this:

The decisions of the IAD should be subject to review (and in some cases ratification) ONLY by the IAOC.

The decisions of the IAOC should not be subject to further review by the IETF at large. The proper venue for expressing tangible displeasure with a decision is during the appointment and reappointment process. (Note, I'm not precluding pre-decision comment by the community at large, and I encourage the IAOC to seek such comment where appropriate but once the decision is made its time to stop whining and get on with things)

The decisions of the IAOC must be publicly documented to include voting records for each formal action.

The IAOC and IAD must accept public or private comment but there is no requirement to either respond or comment on such missives.

The IAOC and IAD should not be subject to the IETF appeals process. The appropriate venue for egregious enough complaints on the commercial side is the legal system or the recall process.

My reasoning:

The IAD and IAOC are making commercial (as opposed to standards) decisions and the result of that may be contracts or other commercial relationships. Its inappropriate in the extreme to insert a third (or fourth or fifth) party into that relationship.

The IAD/IAOC relationship is going to be somewhat one of employee/employer and its inappropriate to insert external parties into that relationship.

The documentation requirement is so that when the appointment process happens there will be some audit trail as to who did what to whom.

The IETF appeals process is not appropriate for a commercial action. A standards action may adversely affect competitors across a broad spectrum of companies. This commercial action only affects the bidders or winners.

Please, let's get the IETF out of the metaphorical administrative back seat and get them back to doing what they do well - technology.