Progressing Re: Progress report......

2005-01-26 03:46:01
John C Klensin wrote:

[many things, including]

(1) The note indicates that "the Transition Team is favorably
inclined to consider a proposal from NeuStar for continuing
Secretariat services...".  Does that language imply that the
Transition Team believes that it has the authority to accept
such a proposal, without waiting for the IAD and IAOC to be in
place?

I simply observe that unless we stop word-smithing and get some
form of the BCP on the books really soon, this question will be
overtaken by events. If there is no IAOC in place, but a final
proposal with deadline arrives from NeuStar, somebody will have
to answer it - either the IETF Chair du jour, or the transition
team.

So despite the seriousness of the issues you raise and those
implied by Bob Kahn's message, I would very strongly favour
declaring the BCP "good enough for now" as soon as we see
the -05 version. Some of the issues cannot be resolved and
documented at this time, IMHO.

(In superficial response to Bob's note, it seems to me that
the draft BCP gives IASA the duty to handle the relevant
IPR issues for the IETF and that is all we absolutely
need at this time.)

   Brian