Re: UPDATE - mp3 audio streaming...

2005-03-10 08:53:58
On Thu, 10 Mar 2005, Jeroen Massar wrote:

On Wed, 2005-03-09 at 12:23 -0500, Tony Hansen wrote:
Kudos for the mp3 streams!

So far, the mp3 streams have been quite a success. From the feedback
I've heard, the audio quality has been mostly excellent. When combined
with the xmpp/jabber rooms, we have a two way communication path, and
several meetings I've been in have used this combination quite effectively.

The quality indeed was quit good and following the conversation was very
doable, having a backpath eg over jabber to the room would be great and
would indeed allow almost complete participation. It would be good to
have the slides of the speakers then too of course so one can also see
the slides. Add a couple of webcams and full internet conferencing ;)

It would be nice btw for the few people who have multicast available to
also make these streams available over multicast, even if it was just to
make the point that it works.

It was sorta in queue since it's relativly easy for us to do on the box that the streams are being reflected off, just didn't happen.

Maybe a silly idea, but what about having a meeting completely online?
Presenters pass url's to their slides, discuss in the jabber group.
Would need a +voice method, like on irc, to be able to let one person to
talk at the same time, otherwise it could turn into quite a mess ;)

In other contexts we've done this for years using an mcu and appliances using h.323. it was done at the ietf for some time with multicast applications. it could concieveably be done with sip.

In our draft you'll see that we're pretty explicit in that our goal is to build a service that is light-weight enough that it can be provided at a very low cost, and across all the meetings. nothwithstanding any other infusions of funding or volunteer energy, staying focused on keeping it light is paramount.

Greets,
Jeroen

--
-------------------------------------------------------------------------- Joel Jaeggli Unix Consulting joelja(_at_)darkwing(_dot_)uoregon(_dot_)edu GPG Key Fingerprint: 5C6E 0104 BAF0 40B0 5BD3 C38B F000 35AB B67F 56B2