Re: New regulations for US Visa Waiver Programme (was RE: french crypto regulations relating to personal encryption usageby visitors? )

2005-04-02 07:12:23
At 15:37 02/04/2005, Jaap Akkerhuis wrote:

This is the reaction in a letter from Jameson Sensenbrenner, chair
of the relevant comittee in the US Congres to the Euro commisioner
Fratini (Justice). ``The concern about the weak border control of
the US will make an extra delay difficult''.

[...]

        Biometric Passports - President Bush signed legislation,
        which delays until October 26, 2005

This is not the first time that this program has been delayed.  Originally
the biometric requirement was supposed to come into effect in 2004.  Given
that it is still 6 months before the deadline, I would not be suprised if
the US and EU discussed this issue for a few more months, then postponed it
again.

(And we nicely postponed the problem by having the fall IETF outside the
US :-)

Henk

Henk Uijterwaal                           Email: henk.uijterwaal(at)ripe.net
RIPE Network Coordination Centre          http://www.amsterdamned.org/~henk
P.O.Box 10096          Singel 258         Phone: +31.20.5354414
1001 EB Amsterdam      1016 AB Amsterdam  Fax: +31.20.5354445
The Netherlands        The Netherlands    Mobile: +31.6.55861746