Voting Idea? (Was: Last Call: 'Requirements for IETF Draft Submission Toolset' to Informational RFC)

2005-04-06 03:26:16
On Wed, 2005-04-06 at 11:52 +0200, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
Well, I thought I'd try something daring. We have people
arguing about xml versus nroff (again). If you write Internet
Drafts, try this toy (and only vote once, please...).
If the toy doesn't work, don't blame me... I just found the
site with Google.

http://www.internationalvoting.com/int3/ask.cgi?pid=22-143

As this is the tools discussion after all, might it maybe be a good tool
to have a voting tool for the IETF?

Just like the above, except that the chairs can see the email addresses
that people gave when they voted. They could then check this list
against the list that has actually been signed up on the wg's
mailinglist and filter out discrepancies, might these exist.

Thus a following process could be made:

- WG Chair adds a vote (topic,description,options,enddate)
- Tool posts this new vote to the WG's list.
- WG members (*1) read this message and go to the URL
  that is given in the message
- WG member votes
- Tool sends a confirmation, to verify that this user
  is really that user that just voted.
- WG member confirms his/her/it's/* vote.
- Tool closes the vote
- Tool sends results to the list

The pro of this procedure is that votes can always be reviewed, checked,
they are easily accounted for etc. And best of all, it doesn't require
one to be present at eg a meeting, so if for instance there would be a
vote during a meeting, even remote participants can be in the vote. Only
requirement then would be that people are able to read their email
where-ever they are, but that should not be a problem for technical
folks would it ? :)

Single side-effect I quickly can come up with though would be that
people who are reading the WG maillist using an exploder address will
come out in the votes as 'bogus' as they are not signed up.
These folks could of course be asked under which address they are signed
up or some other procedure. There are not likely many, though one never
knows for sure of course. This "you are not on the mailinglist" can of
course be handled by the tool. Other side-effects, raise your voice.

*1) If you are not on the list, how else will you know what they are
talking about, thus why should you vote? ;)

Greets,
 Jeroen