Re: Voting Idea? (Was: Last Call: 'Requirements for IETF Draft Submission Toolset' to Informational RFC)

2005-04-06 09:38:39

On Wednesday, April 06, 2005 12:23:03 PM +0200 Jeroen Massar <jeroen(_at_)unfix(_dot_)org> wrote:

On Wed, 2005-04-06 at 11:52 +0200, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
Well, I thought I'd try something daring. We have people
arguing about xml versus nroff (again). If you write Internet
Drafts, try this toy (and only vote once, please...).
If the toy doesn't work, don't blame me... I just found the
site with Google.

http://www.internationalvoting.com/int3/ask.cgi?pid=22-143

As this is the tools discussion after all, might it maybe be a good tool
to have a voting tool for the IETF?

"We reject kings, presidents, and voting..."

This isn't 100% true, of course; there are a very few specific cases where "voting" is used to make a decision. They tend to be somewhat specialized (for example, the system the IESG uses to decide whether to approve documents) and have specially-designed tools.

I don't think a general-purpose voting tool is needed or appropriate.

-- Jeff