Re: [Tools-discuss] Re: Last Call: 'Requirements for IETF Draft Submission Toolset' to Informational RFC

2005-04-06 07:06:07
On Wed, 6 Apr 2005, Bruce Lilly wrote:
A text editor -- any text editor -- suffices for nroff source.  That
includes vi, emacs, textpad (MS Windows), SiED (PalmOS), etc.  In
theory, there exist commercial XML editors for PalmOS, but I suspect
thay they are less productive than the ones on other platforms.
[...]

The biggest problem with XML editors is that they are unproductive.
Editing XML in all of the ones I've seen goes something like:

1. hunt for mouse
2. move cursor to nondescript icon and click
3. try to figure out what it is
4. type a few characters of text
5. go to step 1

I can't understand why you basically say that nroff can be typed manually, but XML requires an editor.

I've never used an XML editor and have.. what, a couple of dozen drafts, many of them RFCs already. I've used solely xml2rfc for about 1.5 years now. Nor do I have plans to use an XML editor.

Prior to XML I used custom nroff macros which I also edited manually.

A good text editor is your friend. That applies equally to nroff and xml2rfc. For those who want fancy (but maybe not user-friendly) WYSIWYG editors, those exist but are definitely not required.