Re: Last Call: 'Requirements for IETF Draft Submission Toolset' to Informational RFC

2005-04-09 15:18:29
On 4/7/2005 10:36, Brian E Carpenter allegedly wrote:
Regardless of the interesting side-discussion about 'voting',
what the toy shows after about a day is:

prefer nroff: 8
prefer xml:  37
neither:      9

I wonder how many of those have actually written a draft using both?

Let's see. I've done lots of drafts with both, using (in the nroff case)
several different macro packages. I have also produced several very large
non-RFC documents (in the thousand page range) using XML, nroff, and a variety
of other tools.

XML is the hands-down winner IMO. In fact I now use xml2rfc routinely for
non-IETF-related documents of various sorts.

                                Ned

P.S. Anyone who uses an XML editor that requires mouse use which gets in the
way of simply entering text is using a crap tool. Plenty of alternatives exist
that work properly.