Re: Last Call: 'Requirements for IETF Draft Submission Toolset' to Informational RFC

2005-04-08 09:23:35
On Fri, 2005/04/08 (MDT), <sommerfeld(_at_)sun(_dot_)com> wrote:

my biggest gripe is the fact that (as of the last time I looked) the
draft version is taken from the input filename rather than text internal
to the file, which makes putting this stuff under source control in a
meaningful way really annoying as most of the lightweight SCM tools like
CVS, RCS, and SCCS don't cope well with renames.

Xml2rfc takes the draft version from XML sources, not draft filename. FWIW, I do not put the draft version into the file name. In fact, I do not even name the draft file following the IETF standard (so renaming the draft will not cause me any pain). Instead, I simply copy the file to a properly named file when I need to submit it for posting. That last step can be easily automated as well.

Alex.
P.S. The fact that CVS and friends cannot cope with file name changes is a [well known] huge bug in their design.