Re: Voting (again)

2005-04-13 11:15:31
Joe,

 When the IETF pays for the 60% (80%, 100%, take your pick) of an
 AD's salary, they can elect ADs.
 Funding of candidates isn't the issue.

 I disagree; short of funding candidates or reducing the workload (the
 latter, IMO, would be more appropriate), the list of willing candidates is
 a significant part of the problem.

You were tieing funding to that ability to have a formal voting process.
That's what I was/am disagreeing with.

However, here you are citing factors that might affect the nature and size of
the pool of candidates and I *completely* agree with you, including what is
the preferred change.

 ..
 The problem with voting is that the IETF does not have a membership
 list, so there is no real basis for running a "vote". The nomcom
 process is intended as a surrogate, randomly selecting motivated
 "representatives".

 That is a kind of a voting process.

Formally, sure.  However discussions in the IETF, about "voting" always use it
to mean "by the plenary", ie, by the membership.

  d/
  ---
  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking