RE: text suggested by ADs

2005-04-29 15:33:12
Bob,

 http://www.rfc-editor.org/category.html

 The URL above works for me as posted.   On that page, it
 clearly says "RFC Sub-series", and under that, "Standards (STD)".

It worked for me too. I'm delighted to see that it existence.

My point was that there is no obvious way for anyone to know that it exists.

they can't go to the home page for the rfc editor and find it in any way that
is obvious to me.  I did try to figure this out before posting my note.

On the average, I am a good test case for these sorts of human factors issues,
since I make lots of errors.  So if it works for me it will work for somewhat
below-average users.

And I could not find the information.

 The URL I gave above is the 6th bullet on the rfc.html page. (It is so far
 down because people don't very often seem to want RFCs simply listed by
 category ("status")).

After repeatedly trying to use this latest comment, I finally figured out
which bullet you meant.  Sorry.  Even knowing what it points to it doesn't
work for me.  But I'm starting to appreciate the challenge, here, given the
range of entries on the page being pointed to.  So i don't have an obvious
suggestion for how to change the bullet.

 I am a little surprised that this is a surprise to you.  A good deal of
 thought and effort went into creating these views.

That's clear.

Unfortunately, users who walk up a use a tool with no training often see and
think about it very differently from the tool's designers.

there is a reason the the human factors area of usability is difficult.

 d/
 ---
 Dave Crocker
 Brandenburg InternetWorking