Re: improving WG operation

2005-05-02 10:27:27
Margaret

Choose the right chairperson (or having chosen one, train them).  I have heard
you speak of the roles of the WG chair (and of the editors of I-Ds) and think
your ideas are absolutely right.  The WGs that I find less effective are those
where the chairs, for all their undoubted engineering skills, are less effective
at the role of chairmanship of meetings, a role which starts with the agenda,
ends with
the minutes, and involves making the most effective use of the 'face time' in
between.

Tom Petch

----- Original Message -----
From: "Margaret Wasserman" <margaret(_at_)thingmagic(_dot_)com>
To: "Dave Crocker" <dhc2(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net>
Cc: <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Sunday, May 01, 2005 4:09 PM
Subject: Re: improving WG operation

People can and do use powerpoint slides in many ways.  Some folks will rework
text in real-time, based on interaction with the participants.  Some folks
just talk their slides rather than actually engaging with the participants.

A thing to keep in mind is that slides and the jabber activity can be
incredibly helpful to folks for whom English not their native language.

I think that, in fact, the issue is not powerpoint-vs-no-powerpoint.  I think
it is exactly and only the concern you raise:  meetings need to be for
working
group interaction.  If that is the clear goal and if the meeting is run with
that goal enforced, then none of the trappings matter.

I completely agree with this.  And, I've been to plenty of
non-interactive lectures that didn't involve any slides.

Dave, do you have any thoughts about how we can change the IETF
culture from presentation to interaction (with or without slides).
This is something that the IESG has been talking about, among others,
but I'm not sure that we've come up with any really concrete ways to
provoke/encourage this change.

Margaret