Take it to the list [Re: improving WG operation]

2005-05-09 08:09:44
(catching up on old stuff)

Eliot Lear wrote:
Margaret,

The words I hate most when I am in a WG meeting are these:

  "take it to the mailing list"

That is usually short for "we can't agree in person so we'll now continue to disagree by email".

Sometimes it's short for "We are out of time." In fact, I think that's
the common case. Other times it's "We here today can't form a consensus,
but in the IETF consensus is formed on the list anyway, so let's
try that way when we've all had time to think."

Debate has been shut off, and usually prematurely because there is something else on the agenda. I'd rather that never happen.

Yes, but it is bound to happen, unfortunately.

I think it's fair to specify the parameters for a decision

Even that may be non-trivial. But I agree, if it can be done in the
time available, it should be.

and then go to the mailing list so that people could evaluate different solutions based on those parameters, but simply blowing off a topic because the group cannot agree is a failure of leadership.

I think it's rare; do you think it's frequent?

   Brian