Re: improving WG operation

2005-05-07 12:25:03

--On Saturday, 07 May, 2005 12:08 -0700 Dave Crocker
<dhc2(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net> wrote:

given email, jabber and multi-casting voice/video, what
additional  collaborative processes might be helpful for
getting IETF face-to-face  meetings more productive?

i believe this sub-thread was triggered by an interest in
something like a  real whiteboard that could be digitally
captured and shared.  Is that the  function we need a tool
for?  are there others?

Yes, real whiteboards (or equivalent) were what started the
subthread.   And yes, ones that could be captured and shared
would, IMO, enhance the process, especially for remote
participants, and especially since we have largely dropped video
(which might permit remote participants to look at on-screen
materials).

I could, of course, be wrong, but I don't know how to find out
without trying it.  And I responded strongly to Marshall's
suggestion because those digital-capable whiteboards are not
cheap and, unlike VGA projectors, are hard or impossible to
obtain from the local rent-a-computer or hotel AV facility.

Whether it is worth the experiment --and I acknowledge that
experiments, like tools, have their own costs-- I'm happy to
leave to whatever community consensus emerges.

    john