Re: text suggested by ADs

2005-05-08 14:38:49
"Spencer" == Spencer Dawkins <spencer(_at_)mcsr-labs(_dot_)org> writes:

    Spencer> - the mailing lists are often not set up to allow posting
    Spencer> by non-members

That's a violation of policy.  Please see the IESG statement on spam
policy; someone needs to be approving non-member postings for IETF
working group lists.

I think it is quite doable to work through discuss comments on the
list.  I don't completely agree that ADs should be sending the initial
mail or that all discuss comments should make it to the mailing list,
but I do agree with the general principle.  Here are some things to consider:

1) It is probably desirable to aggregate comments together.  It's
   probably desirable  to include some general text letting a working
   group know what a discuss is and that they can push back,
   especially for first documents.  Margaret's suggestion for mail to
   the wg copied to discussing ADs seems like a fine way to address
   this.

2) It is reasonable to let the shepherding AD and if desired the proto
    shepherd have a chance to respond to the discuss before the WG.
    This is not a requirement but I do think it will make things flow
    more efficiently.  Certainly I'd say that not all discusses should
    make it to the WG list before the telechat.  This is true
    especially when one of the shepherds plans to push back on the
    discuss.

3) IF the shepherding AD or proto shepherd cannot understand the
   discuss it is almost certainly worthwhile to get clarification
   before bringing it to the WG.

4) Many discusses are resolved with rfc-editor notes in a fairly
   efficient process.  We should be careful of changing this; we don't
   want to slow down document approvals.  It's probably desirable to
   let the WG know what if any changes are made in an rfc-editor note.
   It's probably reasonable for this to happen after document approval
   if the document gets approved fast enough; if a real problem
   develops in confirming WG consensus for such a change, we have a
   bit of time before the rfc editor publishes.  We can revisit if the
   rfc editor starts getting fast enough that they publish within a
   week of IESG approval.

--Sam