Re: Uneccesary slowness.

2005-05-16 01:08:35
Bill, the thing that can create unbounded delay on RFC publication
is a normative reference to work in progress. But apart from that,
it's dangerous to generalize. For many years, the RFC Editor has
only had complete discretion for non-IETF documents (for which there
is now a 4 week timeout on the IESG review, see RFC 3932).

   Brian

Bill Manning wrote:

perhaps.... but i think (based on personal experience w/ the "discover" draft first submitted in 1998 - still in "process") that the reason for the increased "slowness" in getting documents through the RFC Editor is the extra-ordinary
burden placed on the RFC editor staff to coordinate w/ and through the
IETF's IAB/IESG functions and the creation of onerous "objective" checks
that must be done before the RFC editor can proceed with document
publication.  Historically, the RFC editor had broad subjective power to
publish or not - since the community then trusted the technical grounding of the RFC editor. The Editor has not changed - the community has lost trust in the RFC editor to do the proper/correct thing and tries to "second-guess" the RFC editor at every step of the way... which is the real reason for the extra-long
time it takes to get a document published.

IMHO, if the RFC editor was given the same latitude it had in 1997, publication would
take weeks, not months or years.  of course YMMV.

--bill