Re: Uneccesary slowness.

2005-05-18 12:18:21
 Process-wise, this isn't right, ...

 You're correct about the process. I was trying to explain what may
 happen in reality...

Brian,

The problem is that the IESG, in reality, treats these deadlines as
optional.  Hence, mechanisms that are designed to balance trade-offs
between timeliness and oversight have become skewed wholly towards the
oversight, losing the timeliness.

Please imagine someone running a network that is chronically congested
and simply shrugging at the problem.

That is what the IETF experiences today with the process at document
completion.

Users of a chronically congested network will switch to an alternate
provider.  Not surprisingly, that is what we are seeing happen to the
network we call the IETF.

It does not seem at all reasonable to stay with a process that is
chronically congested.  We simply must find alternative mechanisms.

  d/
  ---
  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking