Re: Complaining about ADs to Nomcom (Re: Voting (again))

2005-05-16 01:53:15
You've seen Danny's message with the results of asking the
question in a straightforward way - 20% of IESG nominees
say they would not have volunteered. Unlike Dave, I am
willing to believe them.

fwiw I responded "Yes" to Danny's question, but not
without careful thought and some hesitation.

   Brian

Dave Crocker wrote:
Seems fairly easy to judge the validity of that argument to me.  ASk
the nomcom to ask volunteers whether they would have volunteered if
their name was gonig to be made public.  Collect statistics.

Sam,
Sorry, no.

As I posted earlier, that sort of methodology relies on what survey researchers call "self-report". It is very good for assessing attitudes and very bad for assessing actual behavior.

For example, what you are likely to get are responses that indicate whether the people would like to have nominations be public. It does not guarantee -- and well might not even correlate with -- whether they really would run or not run, depending on the public-ness of the nomination.

It is one thing to ask simple questions about simple issues. As soon as we get into something more "political" the psychodynamics get messy.

  d/
  ---
  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking