Re: put http://tools.ietf.org/ on the IETF website

2005-06-16 09:37:12
On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 15:37:50 +0200
 Brian E Carpenter <brc(_at_)zurich(_dot_)ibm(_dot_)com> wrote:
Edward Lewis wrote:
At 9:20 -0500 6/15/05, wayne wrote:

It is hard to get people to use tools when they don't know they exist
and are very hard to find.

I'd like to add a me too to that and a few suggestions...

I'd like to add that the datatracker be easier to find that having it
"buried" under the IESG roster on the IESG page.  I've referenced the
datatracker a lot recently, more so that I thought I ever would.  I
think it ought to be up front on the IETF site (i.e., www.ietf.org), as
this is the best indication of the current state of $topic-or-group.

Another tool that I was alerted to that I find helpful is the draft
"differ" at
    http://tools.ietf.org/wg/<wg name>/<draft name>/
If it weren't for my WG chair telling me this was being done, I would
have never seen it for documents I am editing.

It's well understood that the ietf.org site is hard to navigate and needs
substantial reorganisation. But this is a major project and will take
time to plan and implement.

Dear Brian;

Since in a real way this is the public interface of the IETF (and since I have
heard
lots of complaints about it over the years), wouldn't it make sense to

- specifically ask for public suggestions for improvements
- have a BOF or an open house in Paris or Vancouver devoted to discussing this

This was done in DC at IETF 61 for the IETF multicast video and it seemed to
work well
(multicast video of 2 rooms is now unicast audio of all rooms).

Regards
Marshall

You can in fact find the tools page off the IESG Activities/Actions
page, so it's only one level down. And I agree, that page is in need
of a clean-up.

While we're talking, let me point to a recently created "operational
notes" page at http://www.ietf.org/u/ietfchair/opNotes.html
Comments welcome. That too is currently linked in an obscure place.
Nevertheless, Google found it in 0.38 seconds.

    Brian