Re: draft-klensin-nomcom-term-00.txt

2005-07-29 14:17:40
Dear Philip and Eliot,

Without going through the full-bore version of this discussion, I have to say I was discouraged when the best IETF participants could do (when some unfamiliar person started e-mailing people who had registered for the the social and asking for more details on credit cards) was to e-mail the IETF Discussion list and ask, "is this a phishing attack?"

Given the current state of the art, that was NOT a bad solution!

I'm not trying to prove the existence of a final ultimate solution to spam simply because a problem exists, I'm simply trying to say that ordinary people who don't belong to a mailing list with an awful lot of SMTP talent may have even fewer resources in trying to use the Internet as a tool, but not a self-inflicted burglary tool :-(

Spencer

> > The Internet faces two rather serious problems. The Internet is > > not
> > secure and we are running out of address space faster than IPv6
> > deployment is proceeding.

> "Imminent Death of the Net Predicted"(r)

> Wake me when it happens.  Economics will have its say here, IMHO.

Currently Internet crime is costing around a billion to ten billion
dollars a year. At what point do you feel that there is a crisis worthy of your attention?