RE: Stopping loss of transparency...

2005-08-18 17:12:22

yes , thats exactly what it  does , they call it  "Portal-Guided
Entrance" on port :80 and 443.

Does this work on port 443? I would assume the SSL security checks
wouldn't accept this.

I believe the FQDN is not encrypted, though the part of the
url after the
FQDN is (so one could redirect based on https:// and/or
specific FQDN's
(whether http or https).

That's beside the point. According to RFC 2818 section 3.1,
where a hostname
is given in an https: URL, the client MUST check this
hostname against the
name in the server's certificate. This check will fail if the
connection is
redirected to a non-transparent proxy (assuming that the web
browser is
complying to RFC 2818, no CA in the browser's trusted CA list has been
compromised, and the crypto is not broken).

The redirection or hijacking happens way before the browser gets involved
(much lower layer).  My guess (again just one possibility)is that the portal
is spoofing the address of the original destination and either sending a
reset or some kind of redirect.  Websense is one example of enterprise
software that does this, which is why I mentioned it.

nick

--
David Hopwood
<david(_dot_)nospam(_dot_)hopwood(_at_)blueyonder(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk>